Zero turn mowers were first invented in the year 1963 and since then their working efficiency has increased dramatically through various patented inventions. Their popularity can be attributed to their superior efficiency, working, and durability. A zero turn makes them spin in all directions, making sure that no spot is left uncut. They also finish mowing in half the time than regular mowers and are really easy to operate.
- 1 1. Husqvarna 967271501 46″ 20HP Briggs and Stratton Zero Turn Lawn Mower
- 2 2. Z-Beast 48ZB 20HP Heavy Duty 48″ Zero Turn Riding Mower
- 3 3. Husqvarna 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower
- 4 4. Troy-Bilt Mustang 46 22HP 46-Inch Zero-Turn Mower
- 5 5. Poulan Pro P46ZX Briggs V-Twin Pro 22 HP Cutting Deck Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower
- 6 6. Troy-Bilt XP 25HP 60-Inch FAB Deck Zero Turn Mower
- 7 7. Troy-Bilt WC33 420cc 33-inch Wide Cut RWD Lawn Mower
- 8 8. Husqvarna 967277401 52″ 25HP Kohler Zero Turn Mower
- 9 9. Husqvarna Z246I 23HP Briggs & Stratton 46″ Zero Turn Lawn Mower
- 10 10. Swisher ZTR2454KA Response 24HP 54-Inch Kawasaki ZTR Mower
- 11 11. Ariens Zoom 34 – 19hp Kohler 6000 Series V-Twin 34″ Zero Turn Lawn Mower
- 12 12. Husqvarna Z246 23HP 724cc Briggs Endurance Engine 46″ Z-Turn Mower 967323903
- 13 13. Ariens Zoom 42 – 19hp Kohler 6000 Series V-Twin 42″ Zero Turn Lawn Mower
- 14 14. Toro TimeCutter SS Zero Turn Recycler Mulching Kit (54″)
- 15 15. Zoom 50 in. 22 HP Kohler 7000 Series V-Twin EZT Transaxles Zero-Turn Riding Mower
- 16 What is a Zero-Turn Mower?
- 17 How Are They Different from Regular Lawn Mowers?
- 18 How do They Work?
- 19 A Buying Guide
- 20 Features to Look For
- 21 Best Brands
- 22 Additional Accessories
- 23 Maintenance Guide
- 24 Safety Precautions
- 25 Conclusion
If you are planning to buy one then here are the top 15 lawn mowers, you must look through:
Husqvarna 967271501 46″ 20HP Briggs and Stratton Zero Turn Lawn Mower is a gasoline powered 23 HP engine. It has a superior cutting deck and its hydrostatic transmission requires little maintenance. An easy smart switch is another added plus.
Z-Beast 48ZB 20HP Heavy Duty 48″ Zero Turn Riding Mower with Rollbar is powered by a 20 HP Briggs & Stratton Pro Engine and a 48-inch cutting deck. This mower is perfect for people with big gardens or farms because of its many attractive features which give quality cutting.
Husqvarna 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower has a 54″ cutting deck and is yet another impressive zero turn mower from Husqvarna. A best seller on Amazon, this mower comes with a 24 HP twin engines, which gives a powerful efficiency to this mower.
Troy-Bilt Mustang 46 22HP 46-Inch Zero-Turn Mower comes with a 24 HP engine from Briggs & Stratton and has a dual Hydro EZT Transmission. Now you can mow comfortably on an 18-inch-high back seat. The cutting deck comes with eight interchangeable heights for maximum efficiency.
Poulan Pro P46ZX Briggs V-Twin Pro 22 HP Cutting Deck Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower has a 46-Inch cutting deck with a ten-year warranty. It has a 22 HP twin engine from Briggs and Stratton, an electric clutch and hydro gear EZT transmission.
Troy-Bilt XP 25HP 60-Inch FAB Deck Zero Turn Mower is equipped with a professional turf engine by Briggs and Stratton and has a power of 25 HP. It has a sixty-inch cutting deck that has an electric start for ease of operation. This mower surely packs a powerful punch with the combination of a superior engine and a large cutting deck.
Troy-Bilt WC33 420cc 33-inch Wide Cut RWD Lawn Mower has an electric start. It is meant for medium sized or smaller gardens, as it has a 33-inch cutting deck. It comes with a 420-cc engine by OHV and four moving speeds. An easy maneuverability saves times while mowing.
Husqvarna 967277401 52″ 25HP Kohler Zero Turn Mower is a heavy-duty mower that comes with many features to improve its structural framework. It has a wide 52-inch-wide cutting deck with height adjustment, an efficient 25 HP engine and six-inch front casters with tough pneumatic tires.
Husqvarna Z246I 23HP Briggs & Stratton 46″ Zero Turn Lawn Mower comes with a mowing air induction technology that improves grass lift and gives a smoother cutting. The strong framework increases the longevity and the zero turn transmissions help in an easy maneuver.
Experience superior Japanese technology with Swisher ZTR2454KA Response 24HP 54-Inch Kawasaki ZTR Mower. Its powerful engine, rapid control system and a hydro gear transmission make it highly efficient in cutting grass in a short time.
Ariens Zoom 34 – 19hp Kohler 6000 Series V-Twin 34″ is a heavily built zero turn lawn mower. It might have a smaller cutting deck as compared to others but it powerful engines tells a different story. Its efficiency is uncompromised and so is its long durability.
12. Husqvarna Z246 23HP 724cc Briggs Endurance Engine 46″ Z-Turn Mower 967323903
Husqvarna Z246 23HP 724cc Briggs Endurance Engine 46″ Z-Turn Mower 967323903 twin engines of 23 HP and an electric clutch for easy operation. The presence of three anti scrap roller and a dual hydro transmission system further make things easier.
Ariens Zoom 42 – 19hp Kohler 6000 Series V-Twin 42″ Zero Turn Lawn Mower is perfect for large or medium sized residential lawns. It has a forty-two-inch cutting deck and comes with a 19 HP engine from Kohler 6000 series.
Toro TimeCutter SS Zero Turn Recycler Mulching Kit is a replacement cutting kit that works for 54 inches zero turn mowers by Toro.
Zoom 50 in. 22 HP Kohler 7000 Series V-Twin EZT Transaxles Zero-Turn Riding Mower will make your mowing even more comfortable with a presence of a high back seat. Its twin 22 HP engines and seven cutting heights make it highly efficient in mowing.
What is a Zero-Turn Mower?
Zero-turn mower or z-turn is a lawnmower with no turning radius. This is made possible through controlling each drive wheel through a hydraulic speed control. They available for both residential and commercial uses with many manufacturers offering a multitude of varying options in them, like a difference in engines, cutting decks, fuels, cost etc.
The common construction of most of the zero turn mowers is as follows: two small spinning forward-facing tires and two comparatively larger driving rear tires. Throttles or joysticks to control rotation, direction, and speed instead of a typical steering wheel.
How Are They Different from Regular Lawn Mowers?
Riding mowers are very much different than zero turn mowers and the chief differences between them are:
- Zero turn mowers can turn a full 180 degrees from the same spot and therefore they do not have any turning angle. This is not possible with riding mowers.
- Zero turn mowers are more efficient as compared to regular lawn mowers in making sure that there are no spots are left.
- Regular lawn mowers are cheaper and easier to maintain but are less durable than zero turns.
- Zero turn mowers are heavier and therefore regular mowers are more suitable for cutting in narrower spaces.
- Maneuverability is higher in Zero turn than regular mowers.
How do They Work?
In most cases, zero turn mowers steer through two handles that project from sides and extend till the back seat. The mower will move in the direction in which both the levers are pushed together. Turns are taken by pushing one of the levers with more force than the other. To make a z- turn, push one handle forward and the other backward. In lay man terms, the working of zero turn mowers is similar to the movement of a shopping cart.
This operation requires a joystick or two levers and therefore the usage of the typical steering is not possible. However, few brands like Husqvarna have introduced zero turn mowers with steering wheels that have a different construction than regular steering wheels.
A Buying Guide
Choosing a zero-turn mower is not easy because of the tons of options available from different brands. If you are planning to buy your first zero turn mower or looking to replace your old one, then here are some points that you must pay heed to:
Most Zero turn mowers are priced less than 3000 dollars, like Husqvarna 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower, 54″ which costs $2,975.04 with free shipping on Amazon. The price range for others can also go up to a maximum of 5000 dollars; Husqvarna 967277401 52″ 25HP Kohler Zero Turn Mower priced at $4,799.95 is a good example of the same. Professional or industrial grade zero turn mowers can even go higher than 5000 dollars like Troy-Bilt XP 25HP 60-Inch FAB Deck Zero Turn Mower, which costs $5,554.36 with free shipping.
While deciding the cost range, think about the usage first. If you are buying a mower for your home then it is better to look for mowers in the low-price range. The higher price bracket will be more suitable for estate or commercial lawns.
Mowers can be classified in different ways and in this section, you will learn how zero turn mowers are differentiated:
Grade is based on usage and size. This is how zero turn lawn mowers are classified majorly:
2. Entry Level Residential
These are the basic and the cheapest zero turn mowers. They are ideal for medium sized lawn having no slopes, high terrains or any uneven path. Their average deck size is less than 45 inches and a horsepower less than 22 HP. Their price is anywhere between $1000 to $2000.
3. Heavy Duty Residential
These mowers can run on slopes less than 10 degrees and are the most preferred ones for medium or a little larger sized residential lawn. They are easy to maneuver and are more durable. Their average deck size is more than 45 inches and they use a horsepower of more than 25 HP. They lie on a price bracket of $2000-$4000.
Commercial grade mowers are used mainly by professional landscapers for large lawns and are suitable for regular use. Work better on slopes less than 10 degrees as compared to residential and have a cutting deck of 60 inches or more. Use a horsepower of more than 30 HP and are highly durable. Have a price bracket of $ 4000- $ 6000.
They are the most efficient, durable and high-end mowers of all grade types. Industrial grade types mowers are very expensive but give better results than all kind of mowers. For commercial use by professionals. They have a cutting deck of 60 inches or more and run on a horsepower of 30-35 HP. Will cost higher than 6000 dollars.
Type is based on the form of control the mower has for movement.
1. Levers: The most common setting present in all zero type mowers. They consist of two handlebars extending from the sides to the back seat. For example Husqvarna 967271501 46″ 20HP Briggs and Stratton Zero Turn Lawn Mower
2. Steering wheel: A non-typical steering wheel is attached to an axle. The control function is similar to regular steering wheels.
3. Joystick: A single joystick is moved in different directions to move the mower.
Deck size is one of the most important things to look out for while buying a zero-turn mower. Here are the main deck size variations present in different zero turn lawn mowers:
1. 33 to 41: Ideal for working on small lawns. For example-Troy-Bilt WC33 420cc 33-inch Wide Cut RWD Lawn Mower.
2 .42 to 46: Perfect for lawns greater than 1-2 acres. For example – Poulan Pro P46ZX Briggs V-Twin Pro 22 HP Cutting Deck Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower.
3. 48 to 54: Used for lawns greater than 2 acres. For example- Zoom 50 in. 22 HP Kohler 7000 Series V-Twin EZT Transaxles Zero-Turn Riding Mower.
4. 60 to 61: Mainly used by professional landscapers for estate lawns or commercial uses. For example- Troy-Bilt XP 25HP 60-Inch FAB Deck Zero Turn Mower.
The size chart below will help you find what deck size and speed combination will give a productivity in acres per hour.
For example, if you have a 21-inch deck size and operate it at the speed of 2mph, you will be able to cut grass of 0.35 acres in one hour.
Features to Look For
While buying a zero-turn mower, here are the main features that you need to look out for:
There are two types of deck available-fabricated and stamped. Fabricated type decks are more tough, tackle obstacles more and are more durable in general. But they are also expensive, and require additional accessories like a mulching kit. In comparison, Stamped decks are meant for an obstacle free lawn, are cheaper and have a smoother cutting.
Type of Engine
Some of the trusted brands who provide engines for zero turn mowers are Briggs and Stratton, Kawasaki and Kohler. They all come in different horsepower, with the common being in the range of 20 -25 HP.
Zero turn mowers have a better durability than regular mowers because of a heavy built. Check the deck material and construction in general to gauge the durability of the mower. For example, if the deck is made of steel, then it will increase its longevity.
Adjustable Cutting Height
The cutting deck should come in adjustable cutting heights for better efficiency. The adjustment setting should be easier to operate, like with a simple push button or through a lever. One example is Troy-Bilt Mustang 46 22HP 46-Inch Zero-Turn Mower, which comes in about eight adjustable heights.
Type of Wheels
Z-turn depends a lot on the quality of the wheels. Precision, durability, and size are some of the things, to look for in both front and back wheels. Also, it is preferable to buy mowers with a set of four wheels and big, rough rear wheels.
Look for features which will make operation easier for you. If you are a beginner, then it is sensible to buy a mower with easy controls. A steering wheel, for example, is the easiest one to operate. Feature overload is good only if you know how to operate the mower.
If you are short of time and can’t go through all the options available then look for the following brands.
- Husqvarna: Husqvarna is an Austrian based company, known mostly for their motorcycles but they produce some excellent lawn mowers too. Their zero turn mowers are equipped with superior engines, are generally commercial grade and have a strong, durable built. Their zero turn mowers not only have performance based features but also have a high focus on safety. Husqvarna 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower is a best-selling mower on Amazon in this category.
- Ariens: Ariens was established in the year 1933 and has been producing high-quality lawn mowers. It prides itself on being the official mower for the gardens of White House itself. Apart from lawn related products, it is also widely popular for manufacturing snow tractors. Ariens Zoom 34 – 19hp Kohler 6000 Series V-Twin 34″ Zero Turn Lawn Mower is one of their top selling product.
- Troy-built: Troy- built is the subsidiary of MTD Products and has been producing lawn related products since 1932. Their Zero turn mowers are known for their performance, powerful engines, and durability. They produce both residential and industrial grade products. One example of their best-selling products is Troy-Bilt Mustang 46 22HP 46-Inch Zero-Turn Mower.
Many attachments can make your zero-turn mower even better than before. These accessories include:
- Bagging System: This will allow you to clean up faster by collecting grass clippings at the same simultaneously with your mowing.
- Mulching Kit: A mulching kit will help you to mulch the trimmings back in the lawn and prevent sideways grass discharge.
- Others: There is an endless option in attachments that could be used according to your needs. Do consult your manufacturer about what can be used in your mower. Some common accessories are plug aerator, lawn detacher, spreader, sprayer etc.
Regular maintenance is one of the key features in keeping your mower as good as new. Here are some things to pay heed to:
1. Cutting Blades: The cutting blades need to be sharpened if they are blunt after continuous use. Blunt blades will not only be unable to cut grass properly but in most cases, might also describe the quality of healthy grass. So, keep your blades sharpened at all times.
2. Greasing: Consult the instruction manual to know which points require greasing at regular time intervals, moving parts many become jammed, affecting the working of your mower of greasing is not done properly.
3. Cleaning: Regular cleaning is required to not only keep your cutting deck in a good shape but to also maintain your mower’s efficiency. Small grass clippings should be removed from the cutting deck before storing your mower. Dissemble your mower at intervals to check and clean.
4. Inspection: Consult your mower’s safety manual to know the inspection time period. Many mowers require a complete inspection check every three months, depending upon the usage. The safety manual will give you a detailed idea about your mower’s maintenance schedule.
Like almost every machine on earth, even zero turn mowers require some safety measures to avoid unfortunate accidents. Therefore, here are some things to keep in mind while operating zero turn mowers for your own safety:
- Slopes: Every zero-turn mower, without exception, is not recommended for mowing areas with slopes greater than 10 degrees. Zero turn mowers have a heavy rear backside and therefore riding it uphill will cause it to topple over (blame it one gravity). Riding downhill is also tricky because controlling your vehicle and tackling the sudden increase in speed is not easy.
Use a walk-in mower for slopes and avoid zero turn mowers.
- Blockages: Zero turn mowers have strong cutting decks but they are efficiency is limited to only grass. You can’t expect your blades to zap through stones, small trees or any solid obstacle present in your lawn. Be careful of removing anything remotely not close to ‘grass’ before mowing.
- Manual: This is important mainly because many of us never bother to read the instruction manual. You might know a lot of things but it is still better to go through the manufacturer’s manual because there is a very valid reason for its existence. Every product has a different feature and it is not common sense to assume every safety manual will have the same things. For your safety, read the manual before starting any kind of operation on your zero-turn mower.
Zero turn mowers not only reduce the time spent on mowing but are also long lasting. They are the first choice for almost all professional landscapers and are readily available on Amazon. Except California, they can be shipped, free of cost to all states of America. Most of them come with a three-year warranty period, which can be extended by paying an additional fee.